Saturday, May 29, 2010

A Room of Our Little Acorn's Own

It probably won't come as much of a surprise to hear that Matt and I have decided to do the baby's room in a woodland theme.  We even call my bump Ola which is the shortened version of "our little acorn" and I have the sneaking suspicion that, if we happen to have a little girl, her middle name will actually be Ola. 

Believe it or not, the choice really wasn't that obvious to us.  We had talked a little bit about the nursery and thought maybe a non-theme with bright colors would be the way to go.  Yesterday, though, I saw this wall hanging, which Dad bought for me at the Folk Festival last year, in a whole new light.  


IMG_4666

We were going to hang it in the stairway but I suddenly could see it hanging on the closet door of our baby's room.  And the bedside table we're temporarily using as a side table in the living room for lack of a better place to put it, could be painted and a squirrel stenciled on the front (and so begins the search for acorn drawer pulls).

This morning I trolled Etsy a little bit and ordered this print from Sea Urchin Studio.


S is for Squirrel
How cute is that?!  I was tempted by H is for Hippo just because I collect hippos but, sadly, hippos do not live in the forest.  

Still, not everything is going to have a squirrel on it.  Over the years I've accumulated quite a collection of stuffed bears and I know there are at least a handful that would look great hanging out together on a shelf.  And there will be owls, foxes, birds, raccoons (which they don't have in the UK and seems really weird since the were rampant even in the suburbs in Ohio)....It might even be time to actually start and finish a project from Beth Doherty's book Amigurumi Super Happy Crochet Cute like this adorable fawn.  Oh, and maybe knit a couple more of these bears!


Bear

I also found this little creation by Green is the New Black online a few weeks ago and fell in love.


Shadow box

I already own a large shadow box but I think it's too large so I'm going to keep an eye out for a smaller one but I do know my fabric stash has plenty of backgrounds to choose from.  Unfortunately, I can think of at least one little knick knack - a little deer I had for years - that I'm pretty sure I sold at my garage sale last summer and now wish I hadn't.  I may have kept it, though...being a pack rat and all, I couldn't get rid of everything. 

I also found this amazing tree mural on Flickr this morning.


Tree mural 

Matt and I had talked about a mural once we decided on the theme but didn't want anything too involved since we rent and might not be living here too long after the baby is born.  Although this doesn't exactly look easy, it doesn't look too difficult either.  I love that the leaves are fabric pasted to heavy cardboard that she stuck to the wall with double sided tape.  

And this is just cracking the surface.  I can't wait to get started!



3 comments:

  1. Gorgeous idea for a baby room theme. Perhaps Ysolda's Nathaniel would fit in there too? http://ysolda.com/store/toys/nathaniel/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've seen wall stickers with trees and such. Perhaps that might work? Very cute idea :)

    ReplyDelete