Wednesday, May 22, 2013

{close as I get to interior decorating}

Well, it took me a bit longer to get back here than I thought it would! Now that my mom and dad have gone back to the states, I'm trying to learn how to do things with a baby and a two and a half year old. Dinner baffles me. Without fail, the baby is howling while I'm trying to cook even though she's just been fed. And to think there was a time (when I was much much younger) that I would have liked to have had four or five kids!

I did manage to take a photo of the fireplace today, though. Thank goodness for camera phones and blogging apps! 


In my heart my decorating style is retro, full of bright colours. In reality I can never really pull it off. We covered our couches (with sheets) last month and I was tempted to cover them in a muted red but just couldn't bring myself to do it. They ended up light brown and I'm going to blame the hope that spills and spit up won't show so easily.

Still, I'm pretty pleased with the fireplace. I found the picture at a charity shop for ten pounds. The pitcher and pots are charity shop finds, too, but the pussy willow branches were the best deal: Mom found them at Tesco or Waitrose in the clearance flowers for 19 pence! I'm hoping they'll stick around even though they're not in water (they're actually in half a kitchen roll tube surrounded by waded kitchen roll). The curtain hides a nonfunctional fireplace in desperate need of a coat of paint and the fabric is some leftover from the quilt Mom made for Emmett. I'd really like to find a fourth teapot so each member of our family is represented (goofy, I know) and I have my eye out for a couple of plates to hang above the picture. 

In real life - where half our living room is a playroom - a wooden table and two chairs (one a bear, the other a frog) sit in front of the curtain, a basket of diaper changing paraphernalia sits to the left and, to the right, a tub of Hot Wheels. It still looks better than a black hole with paint peeling, oddly, in the shape of Ohio!

*  *  *

Book Goodness

Thanks to a recommendation from my friend Ginny, I just finished an excellent YA book called The 5th Wave by Rick Yancey. Aliens wiping out the human race. Parts of it even took place in Dayton, Ohio where I'm from which was kind of weird. It's heartbreakingly the first book in yet another trilogy but an excellent read even if the next book doesn't come out for a year. 

I have a stack of charity shop paperbacks to read but they'll have to wait since Joe Hill's new book NOS4R2 just came out. His last book, Horns, was excellent and this is, so far, pretty creepy and more like one of his dad's (Stephen King) books than any of his others. 

What are you reading these days?

Emily x


No comments:

Post a Comment