Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Bears and Books

So much to catch up on!



Back in the fall, after I finished Emmett's enormous race track rug (another post for another day), I decided it was time to make something for myself and I wanted a bear. Although I think he kind of looks like a sad alien rather than a bear, I do love him. He crocheted up in no time since he's made from double crochets and I might eventually make another one for Emmett in shades of blue or purple. Right now the only stuffed animal he has any interest in is a hand me down otter that came from his cousins so there's no hurry. Ironic, considering Emmett the Otter is probably one of the more famous Emmetts (but <i>not</i> the reason we picked the name).



Thanks to my Kindle, I've been doing quite a bit of reading, too. Not much to shout about but I did read Stephen King's latest <i>11.23.63</i> and loved it. Like some of my other favorite King novels (specifically <i>Misery</i>), the scary isn't supernatural or anything else that goes bump in the night. I actually read a real, paper book recently, too - bought because it was only £2.99 if you bought the Times and we were doing that already. It's <i>The Sisters Brothers</i> by Patrick DeWitt - also excellent! It got a bit wacky toward the end but the rest of it so good it's easy to shrug that off. One of the reviews used the words "If Cormac McCarthy had a sense of humor" and I think that's about right.



What are you reading these days? Has anyone read <i>A Discovery of Witches</i> by Deborah Harkness? The reviews are good but the sample chapter I read didn't make me rush to read it. I preordered <i>Legend</i> by Marie Lu as it's already gotten good reviews from the states and is supposed to be a bit like <i>The Hunger Games</i>. Anyone heard or it or read it?



Ravelry link for bear pattern: <a href="http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/happyberry-bear-dotty-in-christmas-colours">Happybeary Bear</a>





Bears and Books


Bears and Books




3 comments:

  1. aww - that bear's adorable! I'm reading 1Q84 on my Kindle right now and loving it (even though the New York Times folks didn't have much good to say about it on their podcast!) and I'm also reading Saving Fish from Drowning by Amy Tan (i always have a Kindle book and a real paper book going at the same time!) I read The Bonesetter's Daughter and then found this other one for only $2 so I decided to give it a go - it's good! You know I love your book recommendation posts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just finished 11-22-63 and loved it! I'm going back to the second Game of Thrones book now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really liked A Discovery of Witches. Nic (knitting group) said it reminded her of Twilight for grown ups. And that's a good thing. :)

    ReplyDelete