Monday, August 2, 2010

Another Sweater Vest

IMG_4938

I love this color but there was only one skein of it available so I thought I would give the Baby T-Shirt Vest pattern a try.  "Try" is the key word here.  I got to the point where you put some stitches on waste yarn and knit others for the armholes and I got completely turned around.  Forty-five other people have knitted this patten with no problem at all so I blamed it on pregnancy brain (the same brain that almost brushed my teeth with hand soap the other night), frogged it and fell back on the lovely Pebble pattern again.

Love the color, love the pattern, do not love the yarn.  That’s what I get for knitting this pattern in a soft
wool/alpaca/tweed (Knit Picks City Tweed) and then knitting it a few days later with something
that’s 70% acrylic. I’d say I’ve become a yarn snob but I just knitted
a hat with Vanna’s Choice which is 100% acrylic but still nice to knit
with.


IMG_4942

I found these little anchor buttons in my stash while looking for red buttons for the other Pebble sweater.  Unfortunately there were only four of them but I still wanted to use them so on the shoulder they went.  I named this - the Desolation Island Sweater Vest - after a book from the Master and Commander series by my Matt's favorite author,
Patrick O’Brian.  And here's a little geeky tidbit: last Monday Matt had lunch with the man who painted all of the covers for the series with the thought of perhaps doing a documentary on them.  The documentary is still up in the air but, regardless, I think it's pretty cool that Matt got to hang out with him for an afternoon.  

In nursery news, the tree has been painted but I think I'll wait until Matt paints the wood trim before I take any pictures.  It looks fantastic!  Matt dug out my fabric stash boxes and I found some fabric to at least start making leaves with once we pick up some glue and he does the icky, chemically, spray part for me.  It's really starting to look like a baby's room!

And now - starving - must eat!



4 comments:

  1. That's adorable - I love the anchor buttons, and the literary reference :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, what a cute little vest! Love the anchor buttons!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't think you could make too many of those little vests - they're adorable and so tiny-man-like, which I love about baby boy clothes! I can't WAIT to see the tree with fabric leaves - ugh, it makes me want to do that on MY wall!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Agree with Chris!
    And how cool that Matt got to meet that artist; awesome! I'd love to see that documentory :-)

    ReplyDelete