Friday, July 24, 2009

My Experience With the Visa Process

I didn't particularly want my very first post on this blog to be written before I had moved to Salisbury but my visa has yet to arrive so here I sit, on my parents' couch, where I'm staying since I gave up my apartment weeks ago (for the most part - the visa is still going to arrive at that address via UPS so I still have the keys). 

I thought this would be a good opportunity to talk a little bit about my experience so far with the visa process.  The fact that there was no guidance available when I put together my application was absolutely nerve wracking.  It was a bit like an essay question on an exam : you write down what you know to the best of your ability and cross your fingers that the teacher likes it.  What I wouldn't have given for a few multiple choice questions or at least a list of what to bring to class.  They did give you a list of a few basic bits of paperwork to include but, as the list stated, it was only a guideline, not a complete list.  I read somewhere online that one couple even sent the cards that came with flowers he had sent. We didn't get quite that personal. 

That's just it, though, you have no idea what's too personal or what's too much or too little to send.  My application was, no kidding, a little under an inch thick.  This is a list of what I included (including this list):

From the applicant

- Passport
- Photo
- Visa Application
- Application letter [this detailed our relationship, was as personal as we got and further explained my employment status now and in the future]
- Biometric Appointment Confirmation Form
- Marriage certificate
- Bank account overview
- Bank statements for April, May & June
- Schedule of flight to the UK on July 12, 2009
- Latest telephone records - April 24 - May 23
- Example list of emails exchanged with Matt
- Flight details for Paris, France trip with Matt in November, 2008
- Photos of Matt and I throughout the time we’ve spent together so far, including wedding photos

From the sponsor

- Letter of invitation
- Cover letter
- Official copy of passport
- Letter of employment
- Pay slips (2)
- Bank account statement
- Savings account statement
- Letter from landlord and utility bill in her name
- Verification of address - phone bill and car tax form and receipt
- Telephone call detail - 1 month log and 6 month log with totaled call times
- Copy of Turning Point, Matt’s latest documentary

I had actually forgotten this cover list and had to run back home because there was no way I was going to send off these two stacks of insanely important papers (even though each item was labeled and highlighted carefully) without it.

To go back to the beginning of the process, we had actually filled out the application online nearly a week before we sent everything to Chicago via FedEx.  We were delayed by the fact that we had to wait four or five days for the next available biometrics (fingerprinting) appointment.  We had waited until we had the marriage certificate (you have to actually be married before you can send in your application) in our anxious hands,
thinking we would be able to run down to Cincinnati (the closest
biometrics location), get that taken care of and send out the additional paperwork along with a
printout of the application the very next day. Had we known we would have to actually make an appointment and that the wait would be so long, we would have filled out the application earlier - like the day after we got married. This is another instance where a little guidance would have come in handy. 

The biometrics appointment was surprisingly simple.  The wait was fairly short, the fingerprinting process itself was quick and easy and he actually let me look at my photo to make sure it was okay.  I had no idea they were going to take a photo but I actually hope they use the one he took rather than the passport photos they told us to send because his photo is ten times better. 

Putting together everything on the list and sending it off was one of the most stressful things I've ever done.  Matt really wanted to help but I had to explain that this was one case in which I needed to be in full control.  My future depended on it and I needed to know that everything made it in to the package exactly the way it was supposed to go in.  Also, that meant any mistakes were purely my fault.  After the $950 fee, though, I really, really, really hope there aren't any mistakes that might cause it to be denied.  It would be really hard to cough that up again. 

Even though it's been several days past the 5 - 15 business day period stated in the email they sent when the package arrived (which was a nice touch - it's good to know it got in to the right hands), I'm consoling myself with the thought that, if it were going to be rejected, I probably would have heard something by now.  At least I hope that's true.

But, for now, more waiting.



4 comments:

  1. Yikes! I had no idea the visa process was so complicated! I hope you hear soon, it sounds so nervewracking!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My friends were thinking about applying to get her British boyfriend's Canadian citizenship, and they asked all of their friends who had hung out with them together to write letters explaining how they were a couple. However, they never sent the application in, so I don't know if it would have helped or not.
    Sorry it's such a process, and the biometrics thing is weird; never heard of that before. Hope it all works out though!
    And congrats on the latest blog-chapter!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel your pain! I had to get a greencard when I married my American husband (I'm an Aussie) and there was no guidance for that either. I think the point is to make it as frustrating as possible no matter the country. :) Glad it all worked out ok for you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. well post, i was looking the same for my essay help.
    Essay Writing Help

    ReplyDelete