Thursday, July 5, 2012

Read What I Own Month

Every once in awhile I put an embargo on myself when it comes to buying things to read. Most months its the same: one magazine (Mollie Makes - I wouldn't want to miss it) and no books. Other months, when the embargo is lifted, I can tend to go a little nuts with the book buying for the Kindle. Right now I have at least forty unread books on my machine. Ridiculous. Imagine if those were real books on a shelf. Good grief. Granted, a lot of them are free or less the three pounds. There are a lot of really good books out there for nothing or almost next to nothing. I never miss checking out the 99p Kindle Daily Deal; although I rarely buy them. They aren't really part of the embargo but I also really research any book meticulously, checking Amazon and Goodreads reviews before purchasing. I went from someone who was pretty leary about the whole Kindle thing to a slightly obsessive junkie.


Anyway, this is an embargo month. This month, though, I'm allowed one magazine and one book. The sequel to A Discovery of Witches, Shadow of Night, comes out next week and I don't think I could wait until August to start reading it!


Here's what I have on my Read What I Own Shelf for this month.


The Knife of Never Letting Go by Patrick Ness.


KNife of NEver letting go


I bought this one awhile ago after seeing it at Waterstones. I started it but put it down after only a few chapters. Something about the way it's written annoys me a bit. I'm determined to finished it this month, though.


Insurgent by Veronica Roth.


Insurgent
I liked the first book, Divergent, so much that I preordered this one so that it would download at 12:01 am the day it was released. I read two pages and realized I'd read so many similar dystopian YA fiction that I couldn't entirely remember the first book...and I haven't picked it up since. This is another 'determined to finish'. I know it's going to be good. I think I just need to read the end of the first book again to get back into it.


State of Wonder by Ann Patchett.


State of Wonder
This is - gasp - a paperback! Recommended by trusted sources: NPR and my friend Chris.


The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern.


Night


Tiniest picture but probably the one I'm most looking forward to. I bought it with a gift card my parents gave me when they visited last month but haven't read it yet. I've been saving it for some reason. It's nice to have a good book to save* once in awhile even when you're not sure why or when you're saving it for.


I'm also reading Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter but I keep putting it down after a few pages. I like the story itself but the way it's written - regular text with interspersed bits of diary entries - is too distracting. I'm about halfway through and I still haven't gotten used to it. I like the idea of Lincoln as an ass-kicking vampire hunter, though.


So what are you reading? Have you ever imposed an embargo upon yourself (or am I totally a freak)?


*Useless bit of Emily History: when I was younger I wrote to John Updike. Twice. And he wrote back twice, too. Typewritten white postcards with his signature in blue. I don't remember why I started reading him but I loved his books and read almost all of them. I recently picked up a book of his short stories at my father-in-law's house, read the first story, and, sadly, kind of couldn't figure out why I liked him so much. Anyway, the second letter was about the book Brazil which I saved and read on vacation and he wrote back that he pleased I had chosen his book to save. Okay, kind of anticlimatic but it popped into my head when I said I was saving The Night Circus. And I always thought it was really nice that Mr. Updike took the time to write back to some teenager in Ohio.



2 comments:

  1. I got a hand me down Kindle about a month ago and it's such a joy to be able to read again. I don't know why, but it's so much easier to fit reading in now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! you'll love State of Wonder! I too have to put periodic embargos on myself - it's usually when I fall into those weird periods when buying supplies(like fabric) to do the stuff you claim you want do (like sew) becomes more of the hobby than actually DOING that thing! then I have to tell myself that I can't buy any more until I use some up. I have a problem with Kindle books too though - it's too easy to buy them!! and when they're cheap, I can't help myself! I have quite a backlog, but it's not like I'm not trying - i think I have 3 books going right now (one hardback, one on the regular kindle, and one on the Fire!). Good luck with yours!

    ReplyDelete