Thursday, November 5, 2009

A New Favorite: Baked Eggs

I've been thinking a lot about eggs and cream ever since I saw the link to this Apartment Therapy baked egg article last week.  I love eggs any way you make them. In another life - the one I live that graces the pages of Country Living magazine - I have a backyard full of scratching chickens and fresh eggs every day (and, as if the chickens don't occupy enough of my time, I'm now thinking about beekeeping). 

Anyway, thanks to that whole getting married business, we actually own ramekins and I decided that tonight, while Matt - who is also known as The Husband Who Dislikes Eggs - was at work, I would use them for the very first time (being used as salsa dishes doesn't count) and try making baked eggs.

Because we had a couple of stray slices left from the weekend, I decided to go all out and add bacon in with my layer of shredded cheddar.  British bacon is completely different from American bacon and, while this is full of a different kind of wonderful flavor and I wouldn't turn it down, I do miss miss scrawny, crispy bacon from back home.  

Bacon Layer 

Two eggs, a few dollops of single cream and some more cheese and then baked in the oven in the closest thing I have to a bain marie - a glass pie plate.  

Topped 

After 25 minutes I thought things still looked a little too runny and gave it another five which was a mistake because that baked the yolks all the way through but...wow, I could eat this everyday!  Creamy and cheesy with just a little salt from the bacon...fantastic. 

Baked Eggs
 

Considering how much bread and butter and other wonderful things I consume on a ridiculous daily basis, though, this should really be confined to weekend mornings...thank goodness there's one of those less than 48 hours away!  



4 comments:

  1. Those look really good; I personally prefer solid yolks though, so I would have loved it the way you just made it. Runny yolks make me nauseous.
    Also, when I was little, we had chickens, and sometimes there would be a mean hen roosting in her box and we'd have to stick our hands into our sleeves to reach under her so that she wouldn't peck our sensitive little hands. Also, the second worst smell is the smell of cleaning out the chicken coop. The first is a pig barn being cleaned out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I showed this to my boyfriend and all he said was "Yes, please!" I'm definitely going to try this soon! There's a place where we can get British bacon, and I think we've planned a trip around getting it, so we can have a nice breakfast with your recipe!
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks, and sounds, divine.

    ReplyDelete