Thursday, May 20, 2010

Acorn Update

I have another post floating around in my mind - a Hey Matt, What Does This Mean post focusing on pregnancy and baby terms - but can't quite make myself sit down to write it.   Maybe this weekend....

I had my sixteen week check up this morning.  Thankfully it was just at the doctor's office up the street because Matt had to go up to Oxford yesterday to get ready for a meeting (that was, unfortunately, canceled) today so he wasn't home.  I knew this checkup was more about making sure I was okay than anything really to do with the baby (other than hearing the heartbeat but I had Matt's iPod Nano to record that!) so I didn't feel too bad about going solo.

Until the midwife couldn't find the heartbeat (although she did think she heard a kick).  I wasn't really that worried, though, because I wasn't exactly skinny before I got pregnant so there was more than a bit of flesh between the microphone and the baby to make things difficult. 

Anyway, off to the hospital for me.  I called Matt on my walk home and...you know how you can see a little kid trip and fall and he'll pick himself back up without a tear until he sees his mom and then you can't stop the wailing and crying?  Yeah, that's kind of what calling Matt was like (minus the wailing and pretty much the crying) although the thought of having to take a cab to the hospital had me more upset than anything (I wanted to walk which, in retrospect, was ludicrous)! 

So to make a medium sized story short, there was a little mix up when I got to the hospital and I ended up getting a bonus ultrasound!  If you haven't had a kid, that probably sounds ridiculous but, trust me, after seeing that little blob on your first scan you can't wait to see him or her again.  The heartbeat was fine and our little acorn looks fantastic (and incredibly active - I told Matt there's a future Olympian growing in there).  In fact, he or she looks even less blobby and more baby-like than at our 12 week scan.  I think, though, now I'm even more anxious for our 20 week scan here in a few weeks!

It was a rather stressful morning but it ended really well.  :) 



1 comment:

  1. Ugg, I can completely understand how freaked out you must have been. So relieved Acorn is doing fine.

    ReplyDelete