Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Baby Things & Silly Predictions

Baby burp cloths, baby blankets, baby sweaters...all things I'm currently working on for our little acorn.  And now a baby mobile for the acorn's room!


Mobile 

As I said over on Ravelry, I originally bought this cotton yarn to make a blanket but once I crocheted a few rows I wasn't happy with the way it looked so I frogged it and put the yarn aside, sure that I would find some other pattern eventually.

I few weeks later I found this pattern while flipping through the latest issue of Crochet Today! at WHSmith.  I don't think we're going to have any kind of theme for the baby''s room and, even if we did, this is too cute to pass up.  And it's perfect for all that brightly colored cotton yarn.  I had to order a lighter blue for the raindrops and white for the clouds but since I took this photo on Saturday I've finished the crocheting and just need to attach the rays to the sun and assemble all of the pieces into the actual mobile.  I dread sewing those rays on but I'll bet I could get at least half of them finished while watching Gilmore Girls here in about ten minutes....

So I've been speculating recently on the sex of the baby for the last couple of days. Mom and Dad were in New Orleans visiting Andy and his fiance, Elizabeth, for the jazz festival so we had a Skype chat on Saturday.  Elizabeth said that she knew from the moment my brother told her I was pregnant that we were having a boy.  That was my first instinct as well!  Since then I've also thought it was a girl (only because this Chinese Gender Calendar predicts a girl which put the thought in my mind) but now I'm back to thinking it's a boy.  I took this Old Wives Gender Predictor Test yesterday and the first page (the only one I can take as the others ask things about how you're carrying, the baby's movement, tummy shape, etc.) predicts 80% boy/20% girl.  These are all silly ways to predict the sex of the baby, of course, but it's kind of fun.  I even remember one of my great aunts dangling a wedding ring on a string over an aunt's belly to "predict" the sex - whether or not it was accurate, who knows?

We'll just have to wait until the middle of June to find out and until our little acorn arrives in November to find out for sure!



2 comments:

  1. Everyone thinks I'm having a girl, but I don't have any real idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is adorable! Can't wait to see the finished mobile.
    Sad to say I have no instincts about the sex of the baby at all ;-)
    Guess I'll have to wait until June to find out...

    ReplyDelete